Select Page

Grayson County Building Department
129 Davis Street
P.O. Box 217

Independence, VA 24348
Phone: 276-773-2322 or
276-236-8149 Ext. 148
Toll Free: 1-800-752-5117
Fax: 276-773-0305

Chris Davis, Interim County Building Official

Becky Kirk, Permit Tech/Secretary

Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.


Building Inspections

The Grayson County Building Department is responsible for the issuance of permits within Grayson County, Town of Independence, Town of Fries, and the Town of Troutdale. The Building Department reviews plans prior to construction and inspects projects at certain phases of the construction process to ensure compliance with local and state standards, and enforces the building, mechanical, electrical and plumbing codes of Grayson County and the Commonwealth of Virginia.

What you can accomplish in the Building Department:

  • Obtain a Building Permit
  • Obtain Erosion & Sediment Control information and permits
  • Obtain Stormwater information and permits
  • Receive information concerning building issues
  • Express concerns about a Contractor
  • Receive information concerning Back Flow Prevention
  • Receive information concerning requirements for obtaining a Contractor’s License
  • Request a list of building permits issued


Don’t know where to start? Follow this link to determine when permits are required and when they are not.

The Grayson County Building Department now offers online permitting services for your convenience.  To apply for a permit for trade-related work (electrical, plumbing, mechanical, fire safety) click the link below to start the application process.

Permit Applications

What constitutes an Agricultural Building?

Agricultural Permit Applications

Erosion & Sediment Control, do I need a permit?

E&S Permit Applications

Stormwater Management, what is it and who must apply?

Stormwater Permit Applications


Additional Resources