Grayson County Emergency Services Office
PO Box 217
129 Davis Street
Independence, VA 24348
Hours of Operation
8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday
On call: 276-768-6244
For Emergencies, dial 9-1-1
Emergency Services Coordinator
Paul D. Hoyle
The Emergency Services Coordinator is Grayson County’s primary contact with emergency service stakeholders in and around Grayson County. His functions include:
- Emergency and disaster planning for Grayson County
- Emergency Operations Center management and operations
- Coordinates with other county emergency medical service and fire organizations to ensure citizens receive effective, efficient and high-quality service for any emergent needs regardless of time, location or type of emergency
- Represents the County on regional and state boards and committees regarding emergency medical and fire services, emergency operations planning, disaster preparation, etc.
- Provides information to the citizens of Grayson County on preparation for and response to natural and man-made disasters impacting our area
Grayson County Fire and EMS Agencies
Grayson County is fortunate to have a number of high-quality volunteer agencies serving the county’s communities. From west to east, these agencies include:
- Mount Rogers Fire and Rescue – Located in Whitetop, MRFR serves the citizens of Whitetop, Greencove and Konnarock. At an altitude of almost 4,000 feet, these communities are among the highest in Virginia. In addition to meeting the needs of local citizens, these volunteer firefighter and emergency medical service professionals also assist visitors to the nearby Virginia Creeper National Recreation Trail, National Appalachian Scenic Trail and Mount Rogers National Recreation Area.
- Rugby Volunteer Fire Department & Rescue Squad – Located in Mouth of Wilson and serving the communities in western Grayson County, the men and women of RVFD&RS also respond to Grayson Highlands State Park, the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area and adjacent communities including Whitetop, Troutdale and Volney.
- Troutdale Volunteer Fire & Rescue Squad – Serving the northwest portion of Grayson County, TVF&RS also answers service calls for the nearby National Appalachian Scenic Trail and Mount Rogers National Recreation Area.
- Elk Creek Volunteer Fire Department – Located in Elk Creek and serving the north central portion of Grayson County, ECVFD has been providing fire protection and associated functions to the citizens of Elk Creek for almost 50 years.
- Elk Creek Rescue Squad – Located in Elk Creek and serving the north central portion of Grayson County, ECVFD has been providing emergency medical services to the citizens of Elk Creek.
- Independence Volunteer Fire Department – Located in the town of Independence, IVFD serves the citizens of Independence and south-central Grayson County as well as supporting each of the other fire departments in the county.
- Independence Volunteer Rescue Squad – Founded in 1977, IVRS provides prehospital care to the sick and injured to the Town of Independence and surrounding Grayson County. They also provide interfacility emergency and non-emergency transports.
- Fries Volunteer Fire & Rescue – Since 1961, the members of Fries VF&R have provided fire and emergency medical services to the citizens of the town of Fries, northeast Grayson County and neighboring jurisdictions.
- Baywood Search & Rescue – BSAR provides emergency medical services to southeast Grayson County and surrounding areas, including Fairview, Fries, Independence and Galax.
- Galax Grayson EMS – Since 1975, Galax Grayson EMS has provided quality EMS service to the citizens of eastern Grayson County, Carroll County, and the town of Galax.